Tag Archives: Mac Os X

publication list bibtex style (bst)

I needed to create a publication list for my dissertation. I wanted it to include the abstracts and be sorted descendant by publication date.

There is already an abstract.bst file that outputs the bibliography items with abstract, but it sort them by author. So that messed up my file, because I wasn’t the first author in all these publications. There is also a plainyr-rev.bst that sort the bibitems by year. So I combined them both to have a descendant-by-year-abstract-included output. This is the Bibtex Style File for Publication Lists with Abstract (descYrWithAbst.bst).

I use BibDesk to mantain my bibtex database. I created a Smart group that contains all the entries where I am an author. I have the tex view in the bottom panel, and in the BibDesk’s Preferences, I modify the Tex template like this:

\documentclass[a4paper,11pt]{article}
\usepackage{url, gensymb} % include packages according to your needs
\pagestyle{empty}
\title{Publication List}
\author{Juli\'an Villegas}
\date{}
\begin{document}
\nocite{<<CiteKeys>>}
\bibliography{<<File>>}
\bibliographystyle{./descYrWithAbst}
\end{document}


This method is convenient because it can be used to generate an well-formed HTML file without all the curly braces and such those the BibDesk includes. I’m using SimpleTeX4ht to generate the HTML file. The ‘Publications‘ page of this website was generated that way.

Hope it helps!

Mac Os X Snow Leopard and MySQL

I upgraded Mac Os X to the version 10.6.1 and I found that my mysql database stopped working, This is how I fix it:
Open a Terminal and type
sudo ln -s /usr/local/mysql-5.0.51b-osx10.5-x86/* /usr/local/mysql

Then, look for the MySQL icon in the System Preference panel and click it. Let it reopen (as the message says), and that’s it. Mysql is running as it was before upgrading the operative system.

Hope it helps.

Problem with Time Machine after changing boards

After changing the motherboard of my MacBook I needed to reset the configuration of Time Machine. I found this link very useful:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080128003716101

Summarizing you need to :

$ su -

$fsaclctl -p /Volumes/YourVolume -d
$ mv .theOldOne .theNewOne
$ xattr -w com.apple.backupd.BackupMachineAddress theNewOneWithSemicolons Backups.backupdb/YouMacName
$ fsaclctl -p /Volumes/
YourVolume -e

restart your laptop.

Compiling Audition Library in Mac OS 10.5

The Audition library implements a model of the audio filtering in the ear. This is necessary for the simulation and computation of more complex models like the auditory roughness. It is originally distributed as a dynamic library for windows systems, but also comes with the source code. The files can be downloaded from http://lumiere.ens.fr/Audition/tools/realtime

or my version for Mac OS from here:

Audition

Audition depends on Flext, a C++ library that allows to compile the same code for different systems (Pd and Max). It also allows the use of pthreads for multi-threading programs. For the purposes of this work, Flext source code was downloaded from the SVN repository via checkout:

svn co https://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pure-data/trunk/externals/grill/flext/ flext

Also from the same place, I downloaded xsample, a library that uses flext, to test the installation.

The instructions in the ‘build.txt’ files are clear and enough to compile the system. Caveat: in some of the files you are supposed to edit, there are English mistakes that change completely the meaning of the instruction: it says for example, uncomment the following line to inhibit this behavior. In fact it should be left commented to achieve the said purpose.

Once Flext is installed, I compile xsample, easily. Again, for the compilation, I use the same script provided with the source code, something like:

bash {path to Flext sourcecode files}/build.sh pd gcc

The details are explained in the file ‘build.txt.’

I tried to use XCode but it was impossible in a reasonable amount of time to compile it.

To compile the Audition library, I used the same procedure but additionally did the next things:

  • I created the file ‘package.txt.’ This file configures the installation.
  • Change all the lines like this:
    • FLEXT_LIB(“help, carg_mm cangle_mm”, cangle_mm)
  • For something like this:
    • FLEXT_LIB(“cangle_mm, carg_mm, help”, cangle_mm)
  • Create bindings to the help patches in the constructor of the function by including the     DefineHelp(“class_name”) declaration.